[GEM-dev] Gem says quicktime ok, then disagrees with itself

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Jun 28 19:35:58 CEST 2005

Hey Johannes,

The text should probably changed to something that makes more sense
perhaps:

FFMPEG loader FAILED... Maybe quicktime?
quicktime4linux loader FAILED... Maybe mpeg?
MPEG3 loader FAILED... I give up...
error: GEM: pix_film: Unable to open file: /raid0/media/dv_capture1.mov

As for quicktime DV files I'm anoyed. I know I've played QT DV files in
Gem on linux before, on a suse9 machine maybe a year ago... I just
compiled Gem using whatever libs were installed, and boom it would load
quicktime DV files.

So how do I get my machine to load quicktime DV files?

mplayer plays them fine.

Totem plays them fine (and reports the codec as "DV (ffmpeg)" )

vlc does not play it, tries to load as a MPEG PS (whatever that is)

ffplay does not play it (unknown format) I tried ffplay -img [bleh] but
none of the results of ffmpeg -formats is a valid "format" (including
dv, dvvideo etc..)

Anyone have this working?? I even recompiled Gem with libavcodeccvs from
the mplayer repository still no dice... It it was not so easy that first
time.... *sigh*

Any tips appreciated.