[GEM-dev] Gem says quicktime ok, then disagrees with itself

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jul 4 11:29:19 CEST 2005

B. Bogart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the file:// URI makes no difference, gem still does not load the file.
>
> The sample code I downloaded does not link again my version of
> libsvcodec. (probably a very old example).
>
> I google for a more recent example, any suggestions anyone?

ok, i finally made it work.
the line for registering all codecs to ffmpeg was missing.

so the recent CVS-version should work with ffmpeg.
unfortunately it does not yet report back the number of frames (neither
at load-time nor when it reaches the end); so it is hard to loop if you
don't know the exact number of frames.
additionally you have to initialize the current frame (either via "auto"
or an explicit frame) to see something: just loading will give you a
success message and a white canvas :-(

anyhow, it works fine but i had problems with mpegs (e.g. alea.mpg).
therefore you can specify an additional argument on opening that defines
the preferred library (e.g. if you have ffmpeg+quicktime+mpeg3 support
(in this order as displayed on startup), [open alea.mpg 2( will first
try to open the file with libmpeg3, and if that fails will go through
all 3 supported libraries)

mfg.a.drs