[GEM-dev] configure (again): call for testing....

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jul 7 09:56:33 CEST 2005

james tittle wrote:
> On Jul 6, 2005, at 5:28 AM, günter geiger wrote:
>

>> Hi Johannes and gemers,
>>
>> I just tried under OSX10.3 and I get tons of these:
>>
>> g++ -c -fPIC -g -O2 -framework OpenGL -framework AGL -framework Carbon
>> -framework QuickTime -freg-struct-return -O3 -fno-builtin -falign-
>> loops=16
>> -funroll-loops -ffast-math -faltivec -ip -ipo_obj   -I..
>> gemlist_info.cpp -o gemlist_info.o
>> g++: -framework: linker input file unused because linking not done
>> g++: OpenGL: linker input file unused because linking not done
>> g++: -framework: linker input file unused because linking not done
>> g++: AGL: linker input file unused because linking not done
>> g++: -framework: linker input file unused because linking not done
>> g++: Carbon: linker input file unused because linking not done
>> g++: -framework: linker input file unused because linking not done
>> g++: QuickTime: linker input file unused because linking not done
>>
>> Is this 10.3 specific ?

oh damned.
i thought "-framework bla" was a compiler-flag, and not a linker-flag.
this explains why the compiler bails out.

> ...anyway, I'll get to trying out the "even newer" build system
> today...just looking at the g++ line I can already see lots of
> unfamiliar things, especially "-ip -ipo_obj"...

hmm, this means that the check for compiler-flags seems to not work
correctly
"-ip -ipo_obj" are flags for the icc vectorizer; GEM_CHECK_CXXFLAGS()
should test whether the compiler is able to manage these flags, and if
it does not fail, they are added to the CXXFLAGS.
what does configure say when it comes to checking these ?

on my debian x86 using g++, it says:
   checking whether compiler accepts "-ip -ipo_obj"... no

you should get the same....

mfg.ad.sr