[GEM-dev] Gem says quicktime ok, then disagrees with itself

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Thu Jul 7 20:13:27 CEST 2005

Hey Johannes, thanks for looking at this, I guess you fixed your ffmpeg?

So I still can't get it to work...

When I start PD I get:

couldn't open alsa sequencer
GEM: Graphics Environment for Multimedia
GEM: ver: 0.90
GEM: compiled: Jul  7 2005
GEM: maintained by IOhannes m zmoelnig
GEM: Authors :	Mark Danks (original version on irix/windows)
GEM: 		Chris Clepper (macOS-X)
GEM: 		Daniel Heckenberg (windows)
GEM: 		James Tittle (macOS-X)
GEM: 		IOhannes m zmoelnig (linux/windows)
PDP: pure data packet
pix_film:: libffmpeg support
pix_film:: quicktime support
pix_film:: libmpeg3 support
pix_film:: libmpeg support
GEM: Start rendering

Then when I load the dv file with decoder "0" (ffmpeg?):

* open /raid0/media/dv_capture1.dv 0 gives:

GEM: pix_film: Loaded file: /raid0/media/dv_capture1.dv with -1 frames
(720x480)
error while decoding

The "error decoding..." happens when I try and send a frame #

* open /raid0/media/dv_capture1.dv 1 gives:

GEM: pix_film: Loaded file: /raid0/media/dv_capture1.dv with -1 frames
(720x480)
error while decoding

* open /raid0/media/dv_capture1.dv 2 gives:

GEM: pix_film: Loaded file: /raid0/media/dv_capture1.dv with -1 frames
(720x480)
error while decoding

* open /raid0/media/dv_capture1.dv 3 gives:

quicktime failedGEM: pix_film: Loaded file: /raid0/media/dv_capture1.dv
with -1 frames (720x480)
error while decoding

* open /raid0/media/dv_capture1.dv 4 gives:

MPEG3 failedGEM: pix_film: Loaded file: /raid0/media/dv_capture1.dv with
-1 frames (720x480)
error while decoding

* open /raid0/media/dv_capture1.dv 5 gives:

GEM: pix_film: Loaded file: /raid0/media/dv_capture1.dv with -1 frames
(720x480)
error while decoding

Looks like the console buffer does not get flushed when one of the
codec's fail and we end up getting the error message only during the
next attempt to load the file. Note I see that quicktime and mpeg3
failed, but no messages about ffmpeg nor mpeg. in the gem-window we just
get ugly garbled pixel data in the texture.

Thanks for trying, I feel we are close!!!

b>