[GEM-dev] pix_record

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Mon Jul 25 17:06:52 CEST 2005

Hi Chris,

> I wrote an object called pix_record today that makes
> Quicktime movies
> on OSX.  I went ahead and checked it into the main
These are great news - such an object had been asked
for many, many times in the past. No more workarounds
like capturing from screen or assemble thousands of
tiffs to a movie again ... Thank you.
One thing bothers me: Apples MPEG4-Implementation is
known to be rather inferior when compared to xvid etc.
What codecs does quicktime actually support? And
wouln't it be feasible to use a more open platform
(like ffmpeg or theora) to do this? theora would have
the added benefit of producing streaming video ...
Then again, I don't know too much about OSX and even
less about its multimedia framework, so don't feel
bothered if I talk bs here.

> Apparently only a few minor changes are needed to
> get this working on
> Windows, but I still don't have a copy of VC++ yet,
> so that will have
> to wait.  Anyone else who wants to give it a crack,
> go right ahead.  I
I could give it a go with Dev-Cpp (uses the MinGW port
of the GNU utils), but that would have to wait until
next week ...

with kind regards,
Thoralf.