[GEM-dev] Gradients in GEM [pd] - possible? also: gemhead -1 with no light and plus capture experiences.

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Thu Aug 11 19:13:37 CEST 2005

Hi,

> 1) can someone tell me if there is a way to texture
> an object with a gradient, am I missing an external
> or function in GEM. Of course, I could use a picture
> but I like the procedural way ;-)
I don't have a working GEM right here, but I remember
vaguely that there was a colorSquare object that gives
you a square with nice colour gradients.

> 2) When I set the gemhead to less than 0 it ignores
> the view changes... Cool (I like that feature)
this feature is mentioned in the gemhead help patch
:-)
> but..... I'd love to exclude the lighting also. Do
> you see any way to do that on a chosen gemhead (ie
> -1)?
I don't think that this is possible - lighting works
globally.

> Now to my experience with pix_write. As hinted
> (thanx to the list) I tryed to grab single pictures,
> then combining it to a movie. But the framerate is
> unacceptable (sound is eaven worse). I think my
> machine is fast enouth but then again, you never
> know. Could there be a way to export the gemwin to
> the firewire port (I'd love that) or can I export
> the whole gemwin through Network (ie netsend) to a
> client patch on another computer?
pix_write worked fine for me, both with win and linux
(p4, 2.6ghz, geforce 5700). maybe you should try to
let it write uncompressed tiff images, which is much
faster than jpegs (or was it the other way round?
again sorry, i cannot test this at the moment ...)
james tittle made an object that exports the contents
of the gem win as a movie file. this is using
quicktime and is only in the cvs at the moment, i'm
about to try to comppile this for win.
another option would be to grab the gemwin with a dv
camera hooked up to the s-video output of your gfx
card. just tell gem to render to the appropriate
screen, and you should be set. you could even hook up
this dv cam to a firewire port and capture the output
directly with whatever tool you're using for this ...
this involves unneccesary conversion from digital to
analogue and back again, but it works.
regarding the export of render chains to a different
computer: johannes pointed out that this is possible,
but i have no experience in this respect.

hope this helps,
thoralf.