[GEM-dev] Re: [PD] GEM Linux and video codecs

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Sun Aug 14 18:58:52 CEST 2005

Hey all,

This has been sitting in my inbox for way too long!

So again I'm in a situation where I want to load mpeg2 files in Gem. Of
course ffmpeg handles this fine, and plays well enough for what I want.
ffplay plays the file fine and Gem loads the file "with -1 frames" but
does not interpret the file properly and we get all kinds of distortion
and artifacts, looks like nothing is getting decoded properly.

I tried changing the extension and playing with the new open [blah]
loader stuff without any luck, all combinations do not load the file
that at all resebles the output of ffplay.

Looking at the message below, where should I add these linker flags?

Although pidip has dropped ffmpeg, still seems to me that it works very
well and supports many codecs. So how do we make the ffmpeg loader in
Gem as functional as ffplay?

I'll take a look at the ffplay source, but considering my experience not
much is going to happen with the result.