[GEM-dev] pix_video on linux revisited

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Aug 24 00:05:14 CEST 2005

Hey Johannes,

Ok, so my video capture cards arrived today. They are leadtek winfast
tv2000 xp expert cards. They are found by my 2.6.8 kernel and I can see
video fine using xawtv. Oh and this kernel seems to be creating v4l2
devices, rather than v4l... is v4l2 backwards compatible?

All the good news, onto the bad...

tested on both gem 0.90 and gem CVS I am unable to see video.

A simple pix_video patch loads fine but when I press "create, 1" to the
gemwin I just get a black gem-window and PD freezes, no crash, no high
cpu usage, the GUI just sits there unresponsive (as if the pd engine has
crashed).

In gem CVS I get this in the console when opening the patch:

video4linux
ieee1394 for linux

Then I hit render and I get:

pix_videoNEW: starting transfer
GEM: pix_video: Opened video connection F

Then PD is frozen.

In Gem 0.90 I get this message when opening the patch:

video4linux

Then I hit render and I get:

pix_videoNEW: starting transfer
cap: name Leadtek Winfast 2000XP Expert type 7 channels 3 maxw 640 maxh
480 minw 48 minh 32

picture: brightness 32896 depth 26222 palette 4

channel 0 name Television type 1 flags 1

channel 1 name Composite1 type 2 flags 0

channel 2 name S-Video type 2 flags 0

setting to channel 1
buffer size 1867776, frames 8, offset 0 233472

wanted format is 0x1908
setting cmcapture to 64x64	5
frame 0 0, format 5, width 64, height 64

GEM: pix_video: Opened video connection F
vmmap 8371BA8

Then the same PD freeze happens.

As a reminder this is debian/sarge running demudi packages and kernel
2.6.8 PD 0.38-4

Any ideas Johannes?

Sometimes I wish PD would crash so at least I can see what is happening!

I'm starting to feel uneasy about my plan to use linux for this
installation for "stability" and freedom. *sigh*

I'd love to make it work...