[GEM-dev] pix buffer improvements

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Wed Aug 24 10:09:02 CEST 2005

Hallo gem devs!

I need some fast changing images and so I added a open-message to
pix_buffer_write, so that I can load an image into the buffer.
I read the image like this:

imageStruct *image = NULL;
canvas_makefilename(getCanvas(), filename->s_name, buf, MAXPDSTRING);
image = image2mem(buf);

so my question is: do I need all the cache-stuff like in pix_image, or is a
simple image2mem sufficient (like above) ?

Now for the next: pix_buffer_read
I just noticed, that pix_buffer_read needs much more cpu than pix_image,
because stuff like this:

  Obj_header*ohead=(Obj_header*)pd_findbyclass(m_bindname,
pix_buffer_class);
  [...]
  pix_buffer *buffer=(pix_buffer *)(ohead)->data;
  [..]
  img=buffer->getMess((int)m_frame);
  if (img && img->data)
    img->copy2ImageStruct(&state->image->image);

is called every frame!
So I'm thinking about, how to handle it in a more efficient way - maybe the
best solution would be to check for a buffer  and image only when the index
changes ?

Thanks,
LG
Georg