[GEM-dev] TextBase class

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Fri Aug 26 11:27:40 CEST 2005

Hallo gem-devs!

I currently need to display formated text in GEM: I use text2d and need
to display a longer text over more lines - so I have to check where I
have to make a newline ...

I know I can implement that with the pd message system, but it's a
little bit hacky and not so dynamic.

So I thought about implementing it directly in the TextBase class:

e.g.:
   //////////
   // The string to display
   char    **m_theString;
   //////////
   // max. characters pro lines
   // (if 0 then there will be only 1 line
   // with as much characters as needed!)
   int     m_maxchar;
   //////////
   // lines of the string
   int     m_lines;

with changing m_theString to a double pointer and m_maxchar is the
maximum of characters in one line - so I can automatically calculate the
nr of lines (m_lines) and display the text dynamically in more lines -
and of course if a word doesn't fit into the line anymore it will be put
in the next line...

So my question, would that be usefull ? (because it's a little bit of
work - I would have to modify all the different text objects ...)
If not I will simply use a hack, which also would do the job, but maybe
this solution could be usefull ... let me know what you think ...

Thanks,
LG
Georg