[GEM-dev] Codecs in Gem (again!) & ffmpeg

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Aug 30 10:31:57 CEST 2005

B. Bogart wrote:
> Hello all, sorry for the cross-posting,
>
> So my final questions are:
>
> 1. What codec should I use for 300,000 frames (14GB or so) and is well
> suited to build from jpg frames? What container?

as marc has pointed out: mjpegtools

you can also use ppmtompeg (on debian this is part of netpbm) to create
an mpeg out of a series of images (despite of the "ppm" in the name they
can also be jpegs)

> Oh and Johannes, I do have the v4l_compat module loaded, so I don't know
> why xawtv reads my v4l2 video stream but Gem does not. Any ideas?

so the current problem is freezing (not just being unable to connect to
the driver) ?
are you using pd's realtime flag ?

you could try running everything in gdb and then kill the process when
it freezes and then get a backtrace to see where it was when it froze.

mfg.juz.ssd