[GEM-dev] TextBase class

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Aug 30 13:38:01 CEST 2005

Georg Holzmann wrote:
> Hallo!
>
>> of course this (like [l2s]) will polute the symbol-hash and (what is
>> more important) will add a memory-leak (as symbols that once appear in
>> a pd-sessions will stay there forever)
>
> yes ... :(

it is not a very big problem, i think (of course a memory-leak, or what
appears to be a memory-leak, is always a problem)

in most cases you will not manage to fill up your memory (only if you
really generate a lot of symbols on the fly)

>> so a string-type would really be nice.
>
> anyway, would it make much sense, if we use lists for that?
> e.g.
>
> [list this is a long text over more lines(
> [maxchar 10] (or a more meaningful name ...)
> [list this is a \n long text \n over more \n lines(
> [text2d]

otoh, TextBase generates a string out of the incoming list anyhow.
it does not care whether the "\n" is a separate symbol or hidden within
a symbol: "bi \n ba" is the same string (on the TexBase-side) as "bi"
"\n" "ba" (using " " as a separator).
both should result in:
"bi
  ba"

(but none is "bi\nba"!)

and i do think [linebreak] is a better name than [maxchar] ;-)

mfga.sd.-r