[GEM-dev] Codecs in Gem (again!) & ffmpeg

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Aug 31 05:05:25 CEST 2005

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not sure about using a mpeg for the following reasons:

#1. was does the interframe compression thing work, in other words how
does it compare when seeking to a quicktime with photo-jpg codec?

#2. I'm damn confused about the seeking (see below)

So I have mpeg1 and mpeg3 on my machine,

% "open alea.mpg 4" gives me a seekable file.
GEM: pix_film: Loaded file:
/home/bbogart/pd-stuff/Gem/examples/data/alea.mpg with 31 frames (320x240)
% file alea.mpg
alea.mpg: MPEG sequence, v1, progressive Y'CbCr 4:2:0 video, 320x240,
4:3, 30 fps

% "open test.mpg 4" gives me a unseekable file.
GEM: pix_film: Loaded file: /raid0/membrane/test.mpg with 0 frames (640x480)
% file test.mpg
test.mpg: MPEG sequence, v1, system multiplex

test.mpg was created with ffmpeg.

So if an mpeg performs as well as a quicktime with photo-jpeg than can
someone give me an example of how to create an mov that will be seekable
in Gem using mjpegtools or transcode? Since obviously its not difficult
to make an unseekable one...

Aside: What id the different between mjpeg and photojpeg as a video
codec? ffmpeg reports my sequence of jpegs as "mjpeg"...

Ok, I'm installing mjpegtools and netpbm.

B.