[GEM-dev] TextBase class

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Sep 5 00:12:29 CEST 2005

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Georg Holzmann wrote:

> yes, but the problem is that you must then store the whole text in a
> symbol and that's not possible. If you make a long symbol PD breaks it
> ... (just try:
> [symbol
> asdfjaowejfölsagaiuhrföaijpöoadifvjölakjfvöaijfvölakfjlskjdflakjföaoijvölaskdfjö
> aljfweöoifjsdöalkfölasfj (
> [print]
> )

[print] cuts symbols after 78 characters and prints an asterisk.

I've tried with [rubyprint] and [display] and they can print a lot more
characters.

I think this mostly affects [print]. There are possibly other limitations
of length in Pd but those limits are very high -- at least much longer
than the classic limit of 255 characters per symbol in MAX :-}

> (we would really need a string in pd ... :(

Yup, yup.