[GEM-dev] Re: advice pd-gem

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Oct 3 15:35:11 CEST 2005

hi

Teresa Ascencao wrote:
 > Hi Mark and Iohannes,
 >
 > as this is my first time to interactive video and your software, i'm
 > hoping you could tell me if the two computers i'm considering for
 > purchase will be powerful enough for my interactive video art
 > installation.  it will consist of a series of twenty 2-minute clips
 > which will be projected onto a wall, and the video clips will change
 > with a remote control.  i'm looking at a used and a new ibook as

mark has retired from active Gem development several years ago... (but
it is nice to be reminded of one's roots now and then ;-))

> USED ibook:
> processor - 500 MHz
> RAM - 640 K

"640K are enough" is this famous b.gates quote.
however, i don't believe you here.

> bus speed - 66 MHz
> hard drive - 30 GB
> full specs: http://www.lowendmac.com/pb2/ibook3.html
>
> NEW ibook:
> processor - 1.33 GHz
> RAM - 512 K

and here i believe you neither.

> bus speed - 133 MHz
> hard drive - 40 GB
> full specs: http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html

Gem is based on openGL, which means that you need a graphics card which
has openGL-hardware acceleration to get good performance.
thus you might experience problems with the USED iBook, but the NEW one
should be ok.

since i am not using apple-computers i am forwarding this mail to the
gem-dev mailing list, where some people using osX are subscribed who
might give you better advice than me.

and remember that you have to run osX in order to work with pd/gem

mfg.ads.r