[GEM-dev] Re: [GEM-cvs] Gem/src configure.ac,1.21,1.22

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Wed Oct 5 18:10:50 CEST 2005

On Oct 5, 2005, at 10:53 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> c Log Message:
>> use AC_CHECK_FUNC rather than AC_CHECK_LIB to check for
>> glBindProgram{NV,ARB} since on osX we don't have a library libGL
>> but rather use the OpenGL-framework
>> NOTE: the test for glBindProgramNV fails to detect the nvidia-
>> extensions on osX
>> why ? because you have to explicitely request them by defining
>> GL_NV_vertex_program before including the glext.h file on osX
>> on linux (mesaGL,...) it is different: the extensions are only
>> included, if GL_NV_vertex_program is NOT already defined
>
> does anybody know, why apple's openGL headerfiles behave like that ?
> why don't they follow SGI's reference implementation ? can this be
> thought of as a "bug" ?

...does SGI's reference implementation suggest that everything must
exist as a lib?  I'd view this simply as a non-portable missuse of
autoconf...

...but I'd also like to suggest (again, first posted in april) that
we sidestep this whole morass and adopt glew (or something similar,
tho I've happily used glew on many other projects), and move all this
silliness of compile-time extension checking to runtime checking...

http://glew.sf.net

...it's just a header and a coupla c files, that can either be
compiled into a lib or just absorbed into gem like we've done with
other necessary libs...the only problem is that this is a big task,
and probably affects every file in GEM...other than that, I would've
done it already ;-)

whatcha think?
jamie