[GEM-dev] Re: [GEM-cvs] Gem/src configure.ac,1.21,1.22

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Oct 5 18:45:27 CEST 2005

james tittle wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2005, at 10:53 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> does anybody know, why apple's openGL headerfiles behave like that ?
>> why don't they follow SGI's reference implementation ? can this be
>> thought of as a "bug" ?
>

> ...does SGI's reference implementation suggest that everything must
> exist as a lib?

no, i was unclear here. it has nothing to do withthe actual
implementation. the question was rather, why the header-structure is
different from SGI's "reference headers" (if they can be called such)

> I'd view this simply as a non-portable missuse of
> autoconf...

it is not really an autoconf problem; everything that uses headers (that
are different in structure across various platforms) ought to have the
same problems.

> ...but I'd also like to suggest (again, first posted in april) that  we
> sidestep this whole morass and adopt glew (or something similar,  tho
> I've happily used glew on many other projects), and move all this
> silliness of compile-time extension checking to runtime checking...
>
> http://glew.sf.net
>
> ...it's just a header and a coupla c files, that can either be  compiled
> into a lib or just absorbed into gem like we've done with  other
> necessary libs...the only problem is that this is a big task,  and
> probably affects every file in GEM...other than that, I would've  done
> it already ;-)
>
> whatcha think?

i think it is a good idea
(have to check with w32 first)