[GEM-dev] Re: GEM shader usage

Tebjan Halm tebjan at gmx.de
Fri Oct 21 19:29:51 CEST 2005

james tittle schrieb:

> hi tebjan,
>
> On Oct 18, 2005, at 2:55 PM, Tebjan Halm wrote:
>
>> i know shaders only from directX hlsl like they are implemented in
>> vvvv. there you edit the shader by rightclick on a shader node in a
>> way like james want to have it.
>

> ...yeh, but instead of a rightclick on the node, I was thinking of
> sending a [edit< message to the object (keeping with "the pd way"),
> and that would open a text widget window, perhaps even on the canvas
> like ben's [entry]...speaking of which, I checked that out briefly,
> and it seems pretty nice, but I couldn't get it to print any output
> on bang...time to look at the code...

>> the shader code itself contains ALL, that means paramters,
>> vertexshaders, pixelshaders and
>> the way how they should compiled together.
>

> ...snip...
>
>> that means everything is in one textfile and you just need one
>> object to load and/or edit the shader code, simple and clear.
>

> ...that spec looks very similar to CgFX project files, but I don't
> know of something similar yet for glsl:  perhaps we could quickly put
> something together with XML and start a standard with GEM/GLSL?  No
> time atm, sadly...otoh, a pd patch with the several shader objects,
> presets, and such would also be similar, although not human readable
> in the least bit...

best way at all would be to make objects for the shader functions !
graphical shader programming, sheer madness ! ;)

>> nice greets from the meso office ;)
>

> ...meso and vvvv!?!  Whatcha doin' slum-ing around here?  ;-)

i'm just an intern at meso, i havn't done that much on vvvv, i coded
some nodes for math with complex numbers,
intersection nodes (quad/line, ray/mesh), midi clock and midi time code,
and i added a time filter to the mainloop.

but pd was my first contact with graphical programming and i loved it
(and still do). was spending many days
and nights with pd programming. first just audio, but soon i learned to
use gem, that was perfect for my researches
in number theory, to display functions or searching patterns in prime
number related questions. but i had often
performance problems and so a friend told me about vvvv and that they
have spreads (lists, arrays) and every
node can handle that spreads and that the gui is more user friendly. so
i tried it out and was really impressed.
... at the end i'm landed here. but for audio pd is still unreachable.

> Seriously, I've always admired the screenshots and specs of vvvv, but
> never have had a machine to play around with it  :-( ...I'm strictly
> ppc/osx, tho I guess next year even that'll change....  'twould be
> nice if ya'll moved to opengl and went more cross platform :-)

oh yes, thats always a hot discussion, atm it seems that it will be
rewritten in c# for all platforms, but no date is set, minimum 2-3 years.
vvvv is framerate based (every node has to have finite state at each
frame) not event based like pd, so a [t a b a a b] node is not necessary
because
everything happens in the same time, much better to debug ... but try it
yourself if you can ...

> l8r,
> james

cheers