[GEM-dev] Video Codecs Seek performance... *sigh*

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 22:57:55 CET 2005

On 11/5/05, patrick <puredata at 11h11.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i was wondering about mac os X ? what is the best codec for mixing (blending, seeking) videos? quicktime for sure, but what codec and size: 720x480 DV or 640x480 with a codec like mpeg4, photojpeg? it's a g4 laptop, with 512 ram.... 50 videos, 2 seconds each.

I get at least 3 NTSC DV clips playing 30 fps at once on a 1 Ghz G4
laptop using the internal drive.  A fourth might be possible using a
Firewire drive.  I hope you aren't trying to play all 50 at once
though.

Photo-JPEG is less efficient but has the advantage of working at any
resolution (it also has a lower data rate at the same size as DV).
Motion-JPEG is the same as Photo-JPEG, but uses two interlaced fields
per frame.

I highly recommend avoiding anything with MPEG in the name if
performance and image resolution are required.