[GEM-dev] Video Codecs Seek performance... *sigh*

patrick puredata at 11h11.com
Sun Nov 6 14:17:56 CET 2005

chris clepper wrote:

>On 11/5/05, patrick <puredata at 11h11.com> wrote:
>

>>hi,
>>
>>i was wondering about mac os X ? what is the best codec for mixing (blending, seeking) videos? quicktime for sure, but what codec and size: 720x480 DV or 640x480 with a codec like mpeg4, photojpeg? it's a g4 laptop, with 512 ram.... 50 videos, 2 seconds each.
>>

>I get at least 3 NTSC DV clips playing 30 fps at once on a 1 Ghz G4
>laptop using the internal drive.  A fourth might be possible using a
>Firewire drive.  I hope you aren't trying to play all 50 at once
>though.
>
>Photo-JPEG is less efficient but has the advantage of working at any
>resolution (it also has a lower data rate at the same size as DV).
>Motion-JPEG is the same as Photo-JPEG, but uses two interlaced fields
>per frame.
>
>I highly recommend avoiding anything with MPEG in the name if
>performance and image resolution are required.

hi chris,
no no. i'm not trying to play 50 clips at the same time. but, i would
like to be able to load a clip without visual glitch or freeze. is this
possible?

also, i'm wondering about the correct size of a clip if i know the
projection will be @ 800x600. should i crop my dv (720x480) to 640x480
to keep the ratio size. if yes, i will be forced to use a codec like
photo jpeg right?

pat