[GEM-dev] compiling gem with mingw

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Nov 28 23:49:28 CET 2005

On Nov 28, 2005, at 5:41 PM, Thoralf Schulze wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> kicked off by hcs's new extended builds, I fired up
> msys again to build gem with mingw. I ditched my
> efforts with dev-c++ in favour of the (more) usual
> ./configure && make && make install way of compiling
> I stumbled upon the following problems - it would be
> great if someone could help out here:
>
> 1.) the build target is recognized as MINGW32_NT-5.0,
> which is the output of uname -s . I'm worried about
> two things here: first, the -5.0 seemingly refers to
> the version of nt mingw is running on, which might not
> be what we want. And secondly, there is no
> configMINGW32_NT-5.0.h.in file in src/Base - I just
> copied over configNT.in for the time being. In
> dev-c++, the target was GNUWIN32, which seems to be
> the better choice to me.

I used this in a makefile to define "win" from and of the MINGW unames,
it matches any string that has MINGW in it.

UNAME := $(shell uname -s)
     ifeq (MINGW,$(findstring MINGW,$(UNAME)))
       OS_NAME = win
       EXTENSION = dll
     endif

I am sure that there is something similar in configure.in, probably
something out of bourne shell scripting.

.hc