[GEM-dev] Offscreen naming poll!

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Tue Nov 29 18:59:36 CET 2005

hey,

...this weekend I wrote an object that allows offscreen rendering (or
"render-to-texture") on a per renderchain basis, using framebuffer
objects (FBO's, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object):  it is really useful for
playing with multiple rendering passes and shaders...I'd like to
commit it, but it occurred to me that it might be good to see what we
should name it, and where it should go in the folder hierarchy?
Currently it's named [gemframebuffer], but really I think
[gemoffscreen] would be better, since it could be implemented using
pbuffers instead of FBO's, which would allow for some backward's
compatibility (I think)...?

...also, on my harddrive I put it in src/controls (it would be
inserted into a gemchain after [gemhead]), but I guess it could also
go in src/manips, or even src/Nongeos?

...to give a bit more overview, it works by setting up color/depth/
stencil rgb or float buffer(s) that you can render into, and
basically it get's enabled at the start of render() and disabled in
the postrender() call...the buffer is also bound to a texture ID,
which can then be used in later gemchains (currently via
[pix_multitexture]), where it currently requires using the glwrappers
to make a geo to display on:  I'd like to fix this so that there's an
easier way to pass textures around based on their ID's:  any ideas?
Unless there's a way to determine width/height from a given texture
ID, I think that dimension data will also have to be passed...

james