[GEM-dev] Offscreen naming poll!

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Tue Nov 29 20:09:51 CET 2005

On Nov 29, 2005, at 1:03 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

> gembuffer ?
> gembuf? (gemwin)
>
> does the buffer store pixels? or gemlist info?

...neither:  this is a texture on the graphics card, so you can
imagine it as tho it is an offscreen window that you never see unless
you apply it to a primitive like any other texture...

> manips makes sense I think, or a buffer folder?

...I tend toward control and manips:  I don't think we need a whole
new folder, because we should be able to roll in backward's
compatibility via c++ magic...

> I think the buffer calling should be like the pix_buffer stuff, where
> you have a name [symbol] that stands for that buffer. I've not started
> using the pix_buffer stuff yet, but I hope you can also use a
> "float" as
> the name for looping through the buffers...

...this is pretty different from pix_buffer, and works at a whole
other level...however, this "named buffer" stuff is applicable to the
eventual bigger idea of the multiple_window branch, where you'd be
able to associate multiple chains to either offscreen or onscreen
windows (or both?)...but this is kind of a first step that enables
lotsa cool stuff NOW ;-)

> I've not looked at multitexture yet... I need more time.. I'm already
> taking time off work to do all the PD stuff on my plate.

...multitexture was really part of a "trilogy" of related changes to
bring GEM into the current "state of the art"...

l8r,
james