[GEM-dev] GL extensions on Windows

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Tue Dec 13 01:58:03 CET 2005

On Dec 12, 2005, at 6:37 PM, chris clepper wrote:

> I have attempted to build a version of GEM on Windows that supports
> GL greater than 1.1 without success so far.  Google has given me
> some conflicting info about the process stating 'use SGI glext.h'
> or 'don't use anything from SGI' or 'use GLEW or the like'.  I have
> glext.h which allows for a clean compile but linking always fails
> with something like this:
>
> fragment_program.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
> _glGetProgramivARB at 12 referenced in function "protected: virtual
> void __thiscall fragment_program::printInfo(void)" (?
> printInfo at fragment_program@@MAEXXZ)
>
> Well, duh.  The MS opengl32.lib obviously knows jack about the
> changes to GL since 1996.  It doesn't look like an alternative lib
> exists.  So what the heck does one do?  I have a little sample code
> that basically cuts and pastes the typedefs from glext.h into the
> source, assigns a pointer to a local var and doesn't include
> glext.h, but that seems like an obnoxious way to deal with the 800
> billion extensions since GL 1.1.

...well, maybe this is the time to roll glew into gem:  seems we've
got enough reasons to do it now!  But until then, I'd look at some of
the tutorials from gametutorials.com (especially the later/newer
ones), and see how they're dealing with it all...they are all in
win32...

...also check on opengl.org, I'm sure there's a FAQ there
somewhere...like the following:

http://www.opengl.org/resources/faq/getting_started.html

l8r,
jamie