[GEM-dev] V4L2 and question about pix_video"NEW"

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jan 3 19:49:38 CET 2006

B. Bogart wrote:
> Hi Johannes,
>
> So now I would very much like to be able to use two of my video capture
> devices to work in Gem.
>
> Right now only the wintv works fine, though a little buggy, but I can't
> get anything out of the cx878 boards.
>
> xawtv works on both cards equally.
>
> I have a hunch this may be due to an imcompatibility with the v4l
> wrapper v4l_compat around v4l2 drivers. (I'm using 2.6.13-ck5)
>
> How about pix_video using v4l2 proper rather than v4l?

as you might have noticed, there is already a videoV4L2.{cpp,h} in
src/Pixes (CVS).
in theory, you would just need (for testing), modify the pix_videoNEW to
use videoV4L2 instead of videoV4L.
it would be great if you could do some testing and report back. (i am
not entirely sure whether it works flawlessly)

a related question: i would like to rename pix_video.{cpp,h} to
pix_videoOS.{cpp,h} and pix_videoNEW.{cpp,h} to pix_video.{cpp,h}.
i think this makes most sense: "NEW" is not new any more and it makes
the other implementation look so "old"; and it would better refelct the
file<->object relation. (probably it would be best to change the
video-objects for w32 and osX to the non OS-dependent version too, as
this would probably allow to make a consistant object interface for all
platforms.
any objections to renaming the files?

mfg.a.sdr