[GEM-dev] GLEW and pix_texture

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jan 25 15:59:05 CET 2006

chris clepper wrote:
> On 1/25/06, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
>
>>if this is what you meant by having "to clean up some code based on
>>platform assumptions in order to make it work", then i'd answer "YES".
>

> The other option is to add in those platform and vendor specific
> defines by adding a __APPLE__ to the preprocessor check.

i don't like this: it would make another bunch of work whenever
GL_APPLE_texture_range is available on non-apple platforms. (who says
that this will never be?) on my linux-PC "GL_SUN_slice_accum" is as
supported (i just randomly picked one).

> Either way is about the same amount of work, but moving to GLEW also
> introduces a dependency on another lib for GEM.  Hopefully, they keep
> it up to date on all three platforms.

i was thinking of including glew in Gem, as it is really just 2 files
(glew.c and glew.h) and regenerate from time to time.

note on "regenerate": most of the code in glew is generated from the
openGL-specifications. they provide a generation-script which queries
http://www.openGL.org for all available extensions and whatever.
so people can keep it uptodate themself.

> The other assumptions are any places where __APPLE__ really means
> PowerPC and so on.

well imo __APPLE__ should mean PowerPC and MacIntel....and nothing else!

mfg.asdr.