[GEM-dev] Re: GEM Installation on OS X

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Feb 18 09:53:35 CET 2006

Paul Calamia wrote:
> Iohannes,

hi.
people who know more than me about the os-X build process)

> Greetings from the US. A student of mine and I are trying to build and
> install  GEM on a Mac G5
> from a CVS archive. After making a few necessary changes to the source
> code, all files compile

what do you consider necessary?
it would be good to know this modifications so they could eventually be
incorporated (or at least: handled) in a regular build.

> but the build fails with the linker errors below. I assume the "missing"
> functions are defined in Pd
> which we already have installed. Can you please explain how we can modify
> the make file to link
> GEM properly? It's not clear to me where these functions are expected to be.

how are you compiling Gem? using configure/make or using xcode (question
to jamie&chris: are you using the autoconf build system? (so can we
expect it to work :) ?)

> Thank you very much.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul Calamia
>

> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _main
> _canvas_getcurrent
> _error
> _gensym
> _atom_getint
> _class_addmethod
> _outlet_anything
> _outlet_free
> _outlet_new
> _post
> _inlet_free
> _inlet_new
[...]
> _s_symbol
> _garray_redraw

all of them are defined in pd. you have to link against pd.
for this, the build process has to find pd (when using configure, i
think there is an option to tell it, where to find pd)

> recordQT::getCodecName(int)
> recordQT::getCodecDescription(int)

this might be a bug.
for now, just delete the files Pixes/record* and Pixes/pix_record.*
(don't delete Pixes/pix_recordQT.* if you want to record to a movie)

> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [Gem.pd_darwin] Error 1

mfg.a.dr