[GEM-dev] OSX installation - PD CPU usage...

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Thu Mar 2 16:52:34 CET 2006

On 3/2/06, B. Bogart <ben at ekran.org> wrote:

> I did try reloading the files once I get to this weird state, but it
> makes not difference, still behaves the same.

I defintely have not seen that. Can you post the patch or a stripped down
version that gives you this problem?  I can try to mock something up here.

I'll try the RAM message, the videos are 2.5GB in total...

You will need 2.5 GB of RAM to load those.  The QT call loads the compressed
movie into RAM and decompresses from memory.  It is quite efficient once
loaded.

is "ram" only in the CVS version or was it also in 0.90? I don't
> remember seeing that message in the help. I guess I'll try to compile a
> Gem on that g5 machine. (Jamie, does the cmd line build automatically
> optimize for g5 when its on a g5?)

Any CPU option you use will not affect Quicktime performance at all.  Maybe
you have old or wrong versions of the QT stuff in your build?  Can you test
just the 16 files playing back in 0.90?