[GEM-dev] new win32 build

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Mar 10 10:50:54 CET 2006

chris clepper wrote:
> On 3/9/06, *IOhannes m zmoelnig* <zmoelnig at iem.at
> <mailto:zmoelnig at iem.at>> wrote:
>
>     chris clepper wrote:
>     > On 3/9/06, *IOhannes m zmoelnig* <zmoelnig at iem.at
>     <mailto:zmoelnig at iem.at>
>     > <mailto:zmoelnig at iem.at <mailto:zmoelnig at iem.at>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     hmm, why don't we just use [realtime] in connection with a
>     >     [gemhead]-trigger? this way we would not need to change
>     anything in C -
>     >     it is all there already (not that this is really a question
>     and not even
>     >     a suggestion...)
>     >
>     >
>     > Timing bangs has never been accurate or reliable for me.  SInce the
>     > profiling code was already there in GemMan, all I did was divide the
>     > result by 1000 to get fps and send that to an outlet.
>
>     iirc, it has been there on osX for quite a long time (is that true?); so
>     it's better to have it on all platforms than only on one.
>

> I did it on the Mac because the bang timing was so bad.  Windows is not
> quite that bad but it is inaccurate.  I did not dod the linux part
> because I have no way to test it currently.

but i have ways to test it!
my idea is that Gem should be as cross-platform as possible.
this can be achieved in 2 ways:
a) one (1) developers makes something and tries to get it running on all
platform  as soon as s/he has access to all platforms and then commits it.
b) multiple devs on multiple platforms work on the same code: one dev
commits something on platform A, another dev makes it work on platform
B, and so on.

i prefer the 2nd way since it tends to be faster (i have no idea when
you will have access to a linux machine)

the important thing is, that we have to assure that we are working on
the same thing: therefore we need to communicate (to share ideas) AND
commit (to share code);
i consider it better if you would break my (linux) setup by adding a new
feature (on osX): this way i am forced to fix the problem (make the
feature run on linux too) - instead of being a bit surprised the next
time i start Gem on an osx machine (and having to cope with people
complaining that their osX patches won't work on linux/w32/...)

>     i think it should be possible to have vc6 and vs.net <http://vs.net>
>     files
>     simultaneously, just make sure the project files have different names.
>

> I used the VC6 project to make the new one so it has the same name, but
> it is a separate file in the Win filesystem.  I don't really know which
> files are needed for the session and what can be renamed safely.  Should
> I maybe zip the files up?

hmm...
i would rather have non-zipped data in the CVS.
the only files needed for vc6 are gem.dsp and gem_vc6.dsw; daniel's vc7
project used gem.vcproj and gem_vc7.dsw.

i could have a look whether i can find a vs.net installation somewhere
at our institute and if you sent me the files i could give it a try.

>     > builds something usable on lots of machines too.
>
>     the simplest way to make that sure would be, to submit it, so that lots
>     of people can try it on their machines.
>

> I have put a new build up at
> http://taproot.dyndns.org/~cgc/downloads/Gem.dll
>
> This loads and runs on a machine here without glew or msvc installed.

i have checked it on my girlfriends machine (w2k) and it complained
about a missing MSVCP71.dll. a bit of googling lead me to
http://download.overnet.org/msvcp71.dll where i downloaded it (put it
into %SYSTEM32%) and it loaded fine (haven't done any tests yet)

mfg.asdr