Toward Release (was Re: [GEM-dev] new win32 build)

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Mon Mar 20 17:51:03 CET 2006

On Mar 19, 2006, at 3:47 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> chris clepper wrote:
>> The bug so far only happens on dual g5, but if you have a dual g4 it
>> might be interesting to test. It's still not clear what the cause is,
>> but multiple capture devices, especially if one is a DV device,
>> seem to
>> be the trigger.  I haven't tested 10.3 and Quicktime 6.5 either since
>> neither of those are an option for me anymore, but that info could be
>
> ok, i will try to have a look at our dual g4 (running 10.3 iirc, no
> idea
> about the quicktime-version); the only  capturing device i have
> might be
> a dv-camera, well probably i can find some usb-webcam that might work
> under osx.
>
>> I don't like the idea of a version with a known flaw to be widely
>> circulated even if most people won't likely encounter it.  It just
>> creates confusion and problems.
>
> and of course my hurry about the release is probably exaggerated;
> however i'd like to get it running asap.

...since this bug is apparantly hardware dependent (dual-G5), I
wouldn't make it a requirement that it is fixed before a general
release, because there's always the possibility that it can't be
fixed on that hardware...but I definitely think it should be looked
at closely (as is happening) to determine if what the situation is,
as is happening, and then make a release when the cause is
discovered:  I'd hate to think we don't release because of a specific
hardware bug or a software bug that isn't in our GEM code...

...otoh, I'd like to finish up some altivec color coversion stuff
(this week is yuv422 to bgra):  this should be the last one for the
time being, as I don't think we use BGR/RGB enough to warrant the
effort...

james