[GEM-dev] Re: [GEM-cvs] Gem/src/Base GemSIMD.cpp, NONE, 1.1 GemSIMD.h, 1.3, 1.4

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Fri Mar 24 21:10:54 CET 2006

On Mar 24, 2006, at 1:42 PM, james tittle wrote:

> ...this seems like a good thing (I'd like to also add a runtime
> check for g4 and g5 seperation...), but it's not working on this
> end atm...
>
> ...I'm a bit confused as to how it's supposed to work:  "m_simd" is
> a static variable in GemPixUtil.cpp, but is also a member variable
> of GemPixObj(), or is it set up in GemMan?  Should there be two
> checks like this, or has cvs gotten screwed up (really a whole topic)?

...this sux, I can't get it to work:  I can't understand why we'd
want more than one check for cpu type?  Is it likely that a process
will init and start running on one cpu, then switch to a different
type (not talking about core-duo's here)?  I don't think so...

...also, are you expecting the static declaration of m_simd in
GemPixUtil.cpp to actually work, because it doesn't on OSX:  why not
have a GemMan global variable, then refer to it via GemMan::m_simd?

...without hearing your thoughts behind it, I have to abandon my work
on the color conversion routines...come to think of it, nothing has
been quite right this whole day...

james