[GEM-dev] How to change perspective Angle in Gem : WAS gemwin "view" message

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Mon Apr 3 20:57:10 CEST 2006

Hey all,

Anyhow I tried another approach to my setup so that all the three virtual
cameras require the same lens, but alas it still does not work since the
default lens of the camera does not match what I would like.

A quick run down of what I'm doing:

I have a (physical) space with three rear-projection screens. I want to
have three gemwins (on different machines) that each sees the gemworld
from the view of each of these physical screens. They are fixed in space,
surrounding a room at angles (see attached filen which shows the view of
the room from the top). Basically the virtual gem-space is then mapped
into the physical space on multiple screens. (cave-like, but of course not
a cube of screens)

So its easy enough to get the camera to point at the center of each
virtual screen, but the edges of the screen don't match the edges of the
gemwin. (in the attached OOo diagram we should see only the red square in
screen 2, and the green square in screen 3, but both the red and green
squares are visible in both screen 2 and screen 3.

Method-A and Method-B slides show the two options for the camera views, in
option A the camera plane is parallel to the screen plane, but the
distances  from camera to screen are different. In method-B the camera is
the same distance from all the screens, but for screen 2 and 3 the camera
plane is not parallel to the screen plane.

Also I included a few attached patches:

virtual-camera-test2 is method-A
virtual-camera-test3 is method-B.

I'd really like to get this resolved, since we're hoping to do many
gem-projects in this space with these three screens...

Thanks all,
.b.