[GEM-dev] CVS Gem.linux load error: undefined symbol: glUniform4iARB Gem: can't load library

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Fri May 12 04:37:32 CEST 2006

Quoting John Harrison <john.harrison at wichita.edu>:

> thewade wrote:
>
>> Quoting John Harrison <john.harrison at wichita.edu>:
>>
>>> BTW did I understand that you went from the ATI proprietary drivers
>>> to the open-source ATI drivers? Last I knew, the open-source ATI
>>> drivers didn't support direct rendering/3D hardware accel. Has this
>>> changed?
>>>
>>> -John
>>

>> I have an ATI Radeon 9600 M10 and I discovered the r300 sourceforge
>> project (http://r300.sourceforge.net/) and then read somewhere that
>> the driver had become part of the xorg source (I think).
>
> That doesn't sound right. I don't think xorg has drivers incorporated
> into it. The drivers are separate. Either you are using ATI (open
> source) or fgrlx (proprietary). What does it say in your xorg.conf
> file?

On the http://r300.sourceforge.net/ page it says:
"Development has moved to Mesa/DRM and X.org CVS trees, this site may
be out of date."
I thought the Direct Rendering Manager (I think that is what DRM stands
for) was part of xorg? I will attach my xorg.conf file to the foot of
this email, but the short of it is that I am using the dri module and
the driver I am using is the radeon driver.

My xorg.conf isint really set up right either because if I have my
projector pluged in the side by side screens are all messed up and the
screen flickers, but if I don't have mt projector pluged in all my
windows open by default not on the laptop screen. Its all messed up but
I am not to the point yet to try and fix that. I need to get Gem
working first.

>> I just ran yum update xorg*  and 13 packages were updated but I
>> still get the error. What are you all using as your display managers?
>
> Gnome, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

I was thinking that xorg and X11 were different and managers like
blackbox and gnome ran on top of thoes. Am I right? xorg and X11 are
different and it is thoes parts that do the 3D stuff, and therefore I
need good versions of thoes packages to get GEM to load properly?

>> Any tips?
>
> Are you using openGL?

Possibly. It would be nice to map video onto objects or build systems
of objects or something. Basicaly I see this problem as either I can go
backwards and have something that mostly works, or I can go forwards
and have something that fully works.  I know which way backwards is but
I am trying to figure out how difficult going forwards is.

Apparently Fedora Core 5 has the good openGL 2.0 stuff but then I have
to build my own kernel and packages - I can't use CCRMA then. So I am
hoping someone can tell me which component is being lame so that I can
start to fix it.

Is it Xorg that needs this openGL upgrade? Some other package or
library perhaps?

> You may want to check out PDP and PiDiP for your project as well.
> Come to think of it, I don't know if PDP and PiDiP know how to find a
> firewire camera. They work great with usb webcams...

I think thoes packages are dead and I think that firewire support for
video doesn't work for thoes packages. I am not sure though because
that was a few years ago I looked into that. Gem seems the real way to
go now though. It seems like a really nice package and it has all the
features I want.
...now if I could only get it to load without throwing away half of the
package...

Oh, lastly, I heard back about the -msse2 flag from the Fedora Core
people and they say that also has been fixed in Fedora Core 5.

Thanks,
-thewade

------------My xorg.conf below here-------------

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Dual Head Layout"
	Screen      0  "Laptop Screen" 0 0
	Screen      1  "Projector Screen" RightOf "Laptop Screen"
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"
	Option	    "xinerama" "on"
	Option	    "clone" "off"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name
of the # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is
normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
	Load  "synaptics"
	Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#	Option	"Xleds"		"1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#	Option	"XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
# or:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
#	Option	"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:nocaps"
#
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Synaptics"
	Driver      "synaptics"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto-dev"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "LCD Screen"
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Projector"
	VendorName   "Optoma"
	ModelName    "EP739"
	HorizSync    15.0 - 100.0
	VertRefresh  43.0 - 120.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 M10"
	Driver      "radeon"
	VendorName  "ATI"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
	Screen 0
	# can do 8x but driver can only do 4
	Option      "AGPMode" "4"
	Option      "AGPFastWrite" "true"
	Option      "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, CRT"
	Option      "MergedFB" "true"
	Option       "CRT2Position" "RightOf"
	#Option       "OverlayOnCRTC2" "true"
	Option       "RenderAccel" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 M10 2"
	Driver      "radeon"
	VendorName  "ATI"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
	Screen      1
	# can do 8x but driver can only do 4
	Option      "AGPMode" "4"
	Option      "AGPFastWrite" "true"
	Option      "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, CRT"
	Option      "MergedFB" "true"
	Option       "CRT2Position" "RightOf"
	#Option       "OverlayOnCRTC2" "true"
	Option       "RenderAccel" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Laptop Screen"
	Device     "ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 M10"
	Monitor    "LCD Screen"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     1
		Modes    "1280x800"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     4
		Modes    "1280x800"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     8
		Modes    "1280x800"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     15
		Modes    "1280x800"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     16
		Modes    "1280x800"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1280x800"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Projector Screen"
	Device     "ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 M10 2"
	Monitor    "Projector"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     1