memory leak text2d/3d apple G4, was Re: [GEM-dev] pix_video again

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 15 20:54:53 CEST 2006

Erich Berger wrote:
>>> text2d
>>

>> This is a possible culprit as it is part of a lib we do not write
>> ourselves.
>

> and it is.
> text 2d/3d seems not to free the memory when one is rendering a new
> sentence.
> my friend built a subtitle engine for her movies and so there is a lot
> of text. one can really see the mem increase with every line of new text.

just to be sure: the memleak _is_ in text2d/3d or is it rather in the
the symbol-table of pd? (you cannot generate an infinite number of
symbols in pd without introducing a memleak; you can't even avoid it as
long as pd has no "string" type and symbols are stored in a hashtable.)

this doesn't mean however, that there is no memleak in text*.
could you send me a small test-patch that exposes this behaviour?

mg.hsf.dt
IOhannes