Gem sucking whole CPU for no visible reason... intermitently WAS Re: [GEM-dev] Re: [PD-dev] oprofile - streamlining Pd/gem patch

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue May 16 18:13:09 CEST 2006

Hey all,

we'll I've narrowed down the issue to lots of pix_buffer writing, but I
can't be sure without getting the profiling to work. No matter what I do
oprofile just shows me pd symbols, not the gem ones.

Anyhow the patch very simply moves the camera to look at different things
in the room, if the pix_motion -> pix_blob analysis it decides if the
frame is worth capturing. Then it gets added to a pix_buffer.

It cycles through 50 buffers each with 3 slots.

The CPU usage stays around 25% most of the time, going up to maybe 35%.
Then once and a while (and more and more and longer and longer while the
patch is running) it jumps up to 100%. Eventually the patch seems to stay
at 100%. even if I stop the cycling, and therefore stop the capturing, the
motion analsys and everything, all that is left is the video capture (v4l2
on winTV 640x480, usually uses 5-8%), and the CPU usage stays 100%. I've
now left it for about 20min after stopping the cycle and the CPU usage is
still 100%.

Could someone please help me profile this thing so I can at least find the
cause?

I'm going to get something to eat now, so I'll be back on #dataflow in an
hour.

Thanks all.
.b.