{Spam?} Re: Gem sucking whole CPU for no visible reason... intermitently WAS Re: [GEM-dev] Re: [PD-dev] oprofile - streamlining Pd/gem patch

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed May 17 19:06:15 CEST 2006

Thanks chris,

in some cases it does seem possible to remove the separators, in others I
suppose I would have to use matrixpop and matrixpush... anyone have an
example patch of this?

so I removed many of the separators from my patch and we'll see if that
improves things.

The patch seemed to be running fine before I put in [rubber], the
abstraction that contains the rubber stuff is [single-moment]. But now
that I think about it its probably just because the drop of frame-rate is
only visible with rubber in it, maybe it was always doing this, but I
don't recall so... I did upgrade gnome, but it seems very unlikely that
would cause these troubles.

Yes its a pan/tilt/zoom camera. (but even if its the same static frame the
patch should still act the same...)

I'm going to profile it now while its running fine.

Thanks again Chris, I appreciate your time. I'm sitting on #dataflow if
you have any more questions.

.b.

On Wed, May 17, 2006 12:23 pm, chris clepper said:
> On 5/17/06, B. Bogart <ben at ekran.org> wrote:
>> 20 instances of the same abstraction:
>> (these are counts of the totals for the whole patch)
>> 40 gemheads
>> 100 pix_texture
>> 120 rectangle
>> 20 pix_buffer
>> 60 pix_buffer_read
>> 20 pix_buffer_write
>> 160 translate
>> 80 scale
>> 20 color
>> 40 alpha
>> 160 separator
>

> That many separators will likely stall the GPU quite a bit since that
basically resets the rendering pipeline.  That many pix_texture objects
constantly uploading textures will also stall in the driver on Linux and
Windows (your patch would probably go like 0.2 fps on Windows).