Gem sucking whole CPU for no visible reason... intermitently WAS Re: [GEM-dev] Re: [PD-dev] oprofile - streamlining Pd/gem patch

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed May 17 18:08:00 CEST 2006

Hi Chris,

Here is the best count I can come up with (time permitting)

1 pix_video
6 gemheads
3 pix_texture
3 rectangle
1 pix_buffer_read
1 gemmouse
5 translate
3 rotate
3 scale
3 color
3 alpha
4 ortho
1 separator

20 instances of the same abstraction:
(these are counts of the totals for the whole patch)
40 gemheads
100 pix_texture
120 rectangle
20 pix_buffer
60 pix_buffer_read
20 pix_buffer_write
160 translate
80 scale
20 color
40 alpha
160 separator

I really have no idea how the nv driver works, what your saying tells me
that each gem GL function should execute a function in the nvidia driver.
But since the driver is closed source without symbols would there be any
way of getting those calls?

What I know for sure:

happens on the nvidia driver 7xxx and 8xxx.

The less copies of the abstraction I use the better is gets, that is the
CPU  increase takes longer, so it runs fine for longer. It also means gem
captures less frames and therefore uses less memory.

It does not seem to happen with only 1 copy of the abstraction, but that
probably just means that it would so be prolonged that i can't see the
increase of CPU cycles.

attached is the patch, though it depends on pix_video uses in a weird way,
and my serial control camera (and rubber from a recent CVS gem) load with
-noloadbang first and remove what you know will not work. search for
pix_video as well!

Thanks so much for keeping the dialog going.
.b.