[GEM-dev] pix_film and "ram" message on OSX

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Tue May 30 18:26:20 CEST 2006

On 5/30/06, B. Bogart <ben at ekran.org> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> So I'm trying to seek 1 or 2 movie files, at different frames on 36
> different objects. I was hoping I could put the 1 or 2 movie files into
> RAM, and then have all 36 pix_film seek from RAM.
>
> Seems if I send "RAM" to all the pix_film objects GEM tries to load them
> all into RAM, even though they are the same file.

If I send ram to the first pix_film object the rest of the pix_film
> objects still seek from disk, not from the RAM copy.

Of course,  those are all separate objects with their own set of memory -
otherwise it would be an unusable mess.

Could pix_film check to see if another pix_film has already loaded the
> file into ram, and if it has map the frames to the same memory location,
> if it has not then load the file into RAM?

No, it would have to be some sort of new object that held a global pool of
Quicktime movie objects.  I'm not sure how feasible it is either.

With many clips you just need an array of fast disks (potencially) but I
> though RAM would be a great solution since I'm seeking the same file in
> many different locations at the same time.

 With the usual professional formats (DV, HD, etc) the RAM limit on a
process would be reached quite quickly.