[GEM-dev] pix_film and "ram" message on OSX

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Tue May 30 21:11:43 CEST 2006

On 5/30/06, B. Bogart <ben at ekran.org> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for the answer. I guess I'm stuck with playing back about 16 movies
> at once then... at least per machine.
>
> I recall using an array of pix_multiimage objects, and I think it did not
> reload the same images over and over again but somehow managed to access
> the same pixes in memory rather than reallocating...

That's a very, very different object.  pix_film/movie use QT API calls which
cannot be used in the same manner.

Indeed HDV and RAM formats are big, but I'm happy with my photo-jpeg QTs.
> Also I'm working with a 1024x768 gemwin, so I've been dividing the
> resolution by the number of clips.

Do you mean you are dividing 1024x768 into smaller clips and tiling across
the screen?  A single 1024x768 is probably going to play better than 4
512x384 clips.  Also, use pix_movie if you don't need to do any pix_
processing on the video for better performance.

Also since we can now get 8GB of RAM in
> these things I think its still faster that most arrays (with only 2-3
> disks anyhow).

The limit per process in a 32bit OS is 4GB.

I guess [pix_multifilm] will remain a dream for now...

You could decompress the movie into a pix_buffer if you have enough RAM.
720x480 is just about 1GB per minute as I recall.

Thanks,
> .b.
>
> PS: did you pass on my profiler data to Apple so that (maybe) the next
> version of QT will be useful for playing many clips simultaneously.

I could not reproduce the problem here so I didn't send it.