[GEM-dev] configure on OSX

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 14 12:42:16 CEST 2006

chris clepper wrote:
> I think I might start using configure/make on OSX since I am getting
> tired of fighting XCode, but autoconf and configure don't completely
> work.  Some of the issues:
>
> --with-pd= didn't work for me.  I manually added the -I/path to the
> makefile

the "--with-pd"-argument really expectsw the pd-binary(!) and not the
path to where pd lives (therefore it won't find the pd-sources)
i'll have to have a look how this is done with other externals.

> It doesn't build a bundle.  The configure script spits out this:
> 'checking whether linker accepts "-bundle -bundle_loader no pd in /bin
> /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin"... no'.  There's not really any other option
> besides a bundle for GEM on OSX so that could probably be a fixed
> setting.

i just checked and noticed that "which pd" (which is used to determine
where the pd-executable lives if no "--with-pd" is used) on osx returns
  something like the following (on stdout instead of stderr) on failure:
"no pd in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin"
and a positive error code!
therefore there is no easy way to detect, whether the "which pd" failed
and instead the pd executable is assumed to be "no pd in /bin/ ..."
which of course is non-sense.
then the linker checks whether it can build a bundle with "no pd in.."
and fails.

however i should succeed if you give the full path like
"--with-pd=/path/to/pd/bin/pd.exe" (the .exe suffix is just here to
illustrate what i mean)

> The SIMD check finds that the compiler accepts -msse2 on PPC.  The
> check should check for the actual CPU or at least do a uname -s and
> uname -p like I suggested for the Pd endian checks.

i have no checked in a configure version that uses "uname -m" for this
task and which won't test for e.g. "sse2" on ppc unless explicitely
asked for with "--enable-sse2".
"uname -p" is problematic, since it doesn't return anything useful
("unknown", or an error about an invalid flag) on my linux machines.

> My configure skills are pretty weak so I need some help fixing this.

hopefully we can fix it together.

fgma.sdr