[GEM-dev] removing arial.ttf!

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 14 12:54:42 CEST 2006

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> somebody at debian just discovered that the arial.ttf that comes with
>> Gem is copyrighted by "The MonoType Corporation", and therefore not
>> distributable with a GPL'ed package.
>>
>> i guess, we have to remove it.
>> anybody knows a free version of arial or some appropriate replacement?
>
> The Bitstream fonts are free, Bitstream Vera Sans is remotely similar
> to Arial. (Looks even better IMO)

super.

i have removed the 3 other fonts from the CVS and added the vera.ttf
instead.
however, the default font the [text] objects try to load is still
"arial.ttf"; should we change that to vera.ttf? this will eventually
break patches that rely on the font being called "arial.ttf" (e.g. i
usually take the font i want and rename it to "arial.ttf")

which brings me to an idea: what about an object [defaultfontname] that
can be used to set the default font name.
or even better a more general interface (e.g. a method for
[gemwin]/[gemcontrol] that allows you to set the default fontname)

fmg.asdr