[GEM-dev] configure on OSX

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jun 14 16:52:06 CEST 2006

On Jun 14, 2006, at 6:42 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> chris clepper wrote:
>> I think I might start using configure/make on OSX since I am getting
>> tired of fighting XCode, but autoconf and configure don't completely
>> work.  Some of the issues:
>> --with-pd= didn't work for me.  I manually added the -I/path to
>> the makefile
>
> the "--with-pd"-argument really expectsw the pd-binary(!) and not
> the path to where pd lives (therefore it won't find the pd-sources)
> i'll have to have a look how this is done with other externals.
>
>> It doesn't build a bundle.  The configure script spits out this:
>> 'checking whether linker accepts "-bundle -bundle_loader no pd in /
>> bin
>> /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin"... no'.  There's not really any other
>> option
>> besides a bundle for GEM on OSX so that could probably be a fixed
>> setting.
>
> i just checked and noticed that "which pd" (which is used to
> determine where the pd-executable lives if no "--with-pd" is used)
> on osx returns  something like the following (on stdout instead of
> stderr) on failure:
> "no pd in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin"
> and a positive error code!
> therefore there is no easy way to detect, whether the "which pd"
> failed and instead the pd executable is assumed to be "no pd in /
> bin/ ..." which of course is non-sense.
> then the linker checks whether it can build a bundle with "no pd
> in.." and fails.
>
> however i should succeed if you give the full path like "--with-pd=/
> path/to/pd/bin/pd.exe" (the .exe suffix is just here to illustrate
> what i mean)

If this was set to a sensible default, like a relative path (../../pd/
bin/pd) within the standard dev layout (http://puredata.org/docs/
developer/devlayout ), it would save most of us a lot of hassle.
Then the --with-pd option could be for special circumstances.  I
think we all have better things to do that supporting every directory
layout under the sun.

$(which pd) doesn't really work well on Mac OS X since most people do
not install a command line version, so it doesn't really make sense
for most situations.

.hc