[GEM-dev] Gem for Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jul 27 18:35:45 CEST 2006

On Jul 27, 2006, at 11:31 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> james tittle wrote:

>>> Wasn't there some talk to making ./configure work on Mac OS X?
>> ...it used to work, but then I switched back to using
>> xcode...however, some time ago, I did say I'd get it running
>> again, so I guess I should work on that :-\
>> ...my question would be:  how am I supposed to deal with the
>> freetype and FTGL dependencies?  FTGL is no longer in development,
>> so maybe we do need to put it in cvs/GemLibs?  I've generally used
>> a non-standard
>
> i would rather say, FTGL does what it should do and is therefore
> "done".
> imo, the best thing would be, if the autocompiling machine (no
> matter whether it is linux, osx or w32) has FTGL and freetype
> installed as prerequisites.

>> development environment, where freetype isn't installed in /usr/
>> local or wherever, but instead I use a ~/dev/libs folder for all
>> my self-compiled libs...this is mainly because it allows me more
>> control over whether they are dylibs (and what the install_name
>> is) or statics...
>
> which in theory could be handled via proper -I/-L flags to the
> compiler/linker.

With the auto-build farm, any dependencies have to be in the OS
package system or CVS, otherwise its too much work to maintain.
There are going to be 10 machines, I don't want to spend my life
maintaining them.  MinGW is the only platform where I will build
things from source outside of CVS since there is no other option
currently.  On MinGW, stable releases can be built from source
packages, anything else should be in CVS.  In other words, if the
HOWTO webpage can have a static link to the exact, unchanging source
tarball, and that tarball can be built automatically and reliably
from scripts/build-libs-for-pd-on-mingw.sh.   Otherwise, it needs to
be in CVS.