[GEM-dev] continueRender weirdness?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Aug 10 10:18:19 CEST 2006

hi

james tittle wrote:
[...]
> GemBase::continueRender
> GemBase::gem_renderMess
> GemBase::gem_MessCallback
> pd_typedmess
> outlet_anything
>
> ...is continueRender called when an object isn't finished doing it's
> thing?  Or does anyone have other ideas about what's going on?

first, i don't yet know what is going on.

second: the continueRender() is called to emit a render-message through
the 1st outlet; so it just means: "render the gemchain below this object".

i don't really see where it should hang there, but i guess we could make
some optimizations, like not calling gensym("gem_state") in each run but
referring to a pre-initialized symbol-pointer;
and use an only-once allocated t_atom-array (this is really the _only_
line of code where i could expect the time to be spent.

however, i don't see any relation between a large model to be loaded and
the behaviour of continueRender().
is there anything else in the patch where the continueRender() might be
called more often than once in a render cycle (esp. [part_info] or
[part_render])?

mfgadsr