[GEM-dev] pdextended autobuild august 10th 2006

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Aug 11 10:37:55 CEST 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2006, at 4:23 PM, B. Bogart wrote:
>>
>> I see that "Gem" is not in the extended release, I guess due to the  gem
>> build issues.
>>
>> Since the ftgl and freetype libs don't change much should they just be
>> compilied manually and copied onto the compile farm? Looks like the  OSX
>> gem terminal build is pretty close to being ready according to  IOhannes.
>

> CVS or native-OS package management are the only options for the auto-
> build farm.  FTGL and FreeType should just be checked into CVS, i.e.
> GemLibs, if they are not included in Fink/Debian/Fedora Core

honestly i do not see a reason why _i_ should have to go through all the
troubles to make FTGL compile from the command line on a platform that
does not natively support this.
i _do_ have managed to build FTGL via autoconf/make, but it is not the
_official_ way to build it and the build might have issues (e.g. i used
the X11 openGL which might not be such a good idea in general).
building freetype2 on os-x via autoconf is pretty easy, but (afaik) it
_needs_ to be "install"ed in order to function properly, which involves
privileges i would not grant on an autobuild farm. (i might be wrong
here though)

the simplest way i could think of (in terms of maintainability) is to
provide binary GemLibs packages for special platforms:
e.g. GemLibs/lib/ftgl.a
and  GemLibs/include/freetype2/

so we just need to add "-I${GEMLIBS}/include" and "-L${GEMLIBS}/lib" to
the default make-flags.

another possibility would be to not have FTGL-support on the autobuilt
Gem (after all font-rendering is really an optional feature).

mfg.adsf.