[PD-dev] Re: [GEM-dev] pdextended autobuild august 10th 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Aug 11 19:37:51 CEST 2006

hans at sla:hid > grep -C3 xcodebuild ~/cvs/pure-data/externals/Makefile
# Apple changed the XCode CLI tool's name in xcode2... arg
# if on non-Mac OS X, this target just echos a message
         cd $(HID_UTILITIES_SOURCE) && \
                 (test -x /usr/bin/xcodebuild && /usr/bin/xcodebuild)
|| \
                         (test -x /usr/bin/pbxbuild && /usr/bin/
pbxbuild) || \
                                 echo "Not building Apple HID Utilities"

.hc

On Aug 11, 2006, at 1:21 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

> True...
>
> I have a sickly feeling that fink packages of FTGL will be linked
> against the X11 GLX, and not the native OSX one... maybe thats
> unfounded.
>
> By XCode terminal utilities do you mean gcc, make etc.. or are there
> ways of running Xcode from the terminal? Let me know how to did it and
> I'll download FTGL and see if its possible.
>
> .b.
>

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> I understand that.  But still, managing source builds is a lot of
>> work
>> when multiplied by 10+, even when the software is "done".  I
>> don't want
>> to have to build it even once.  Right now, I can install  many, many
>> packages using Fink/apt-get/yum with basically one  command:  "fink
>> install ..." or "apt-get install ..." or "yum  install ..."
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Aug 11, 2006, at 12:52 PM, B. Bogart wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Hans,
>>>
>>> I think Johannes's real argument is that FTGL is "done" and is
>>> probably
>>> not going to change at all anymore. Due to this it takes less
>>> time to
>>> build the FTGL static libs on each platform than it is to make
>>> FTGL  play
>>> nice in the autobuild system, when the sources will not change. Of
>>> course bugs *could* come up though...
>>>
>>> Seems like freetype2 compiles fine from the cmd line for all
>>> platforms.
>>>
>>> So whats the next step?
>>>
>>> ..b..

>> ---
>>
>> Man has survived hitherto because he was too ignorant to know how to
>> realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
>> change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith