[GEM-dev] autoconf os-X (working)

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Fri Aug 11 20:56:01 CEST 2006

On Aug 11, 2006, at 5:16 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> this is known (note that i only linked freetype dynamically, while
> i linked ftgl statically).

...freetype is available from fink:

      freetype         1.3.1-9      TrueType font rendering library,
version 1
      freetype-bin     1.3.1-9      TrueType font rendering library,
version 1
      freetype-hin...  1.3.1-9      TrueType font rendering library,
version 1, ...
      freetype-hin...  1.3.1-9      TrueType font rendering library,
version 1, ...
      freetype-hin...  1.3.1-9      TrueType font rendering library,
version 1, ...
      freetype-shlibs  1.3.1-9      TrueType font rendering library,
version 1
      freetype2        2.1.4-12     TrueType font rendering library,
(dummy)
i   freetype2-dev    2.1.4-12     TrueType font rendering library,
headers
      freetype2-hi...  2.1.4-12     TrueType font rendering library,
(dummy)
      freetype2-hi...  2.1.4-12     TrueType font rendering library,
headers
      freetype2-hi...  2.1.4-12     TrueType font rendering library,
shared libs
i   freetype2-sh...  2.1.4-12     TrueType font rendering library,
shared libs
i   freetype219      2.1.9-2      TrueType font rendering library,
headers
i   freetype219-...  2.1.9-2      TrueType font rendering library,
shared libs

...note that you always get shared libs, which means you would need
to include it in the distribution, or explicitly specify linking to
the static lib (which is usually also built)...I always do this in
the ftgl archive, so that ftgl can be build statically, and therefore
is portable (no probs so far)...

> for better checking, i repeat my question: how do i check the
> dynamic linkage dependencies of a binary on osx?

otool -L name.dylib will show dependent libs, or "otool -L libftgl.a"
will show object files included...

> i still think that it will be easiest to provide the binaries for
> freetype2 and ftgl in the GemLibs-OSX-10.4.tgz

...I agree:  we really just need a correctly built libftgl.a in
GemLibs/libs...but I'm sick with some unknown (yet) swelling of the
lymph nodes in my neck, and can't do much...

bleh,
jamie