[GEM-dev] autoconf os-X (working)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Aug 12 00:12:05 CEST 2006

On Aug 11, 2006, at 2:56 PM, james tittle wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2006, at 5:16 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>>
>> this is known (note that i only linked freetype dynamically, while
>> i linked ftgl statically).
>
> ...freetype is available from fink:
>
>      freetype         1.3.1-9      TrueType font rendering library,
> version 1
>      freetype-bin     1.3.1-9      TrueType font rendering library,
> version 1
>      freetype-hin...  1.3.1-9      TrueType font rendering library,
> version 1, ...
>      freetype-hin...  1.3.1-9      TrueType font rendering library,
> version 1, ...
>      freetype-hin...  1.3.1-9      TrueType font rendering library,
> version 1, ...
>      freetype-shlibs  1.3.1-9      TrueType font rendering library,
> version 1
>      freetype2        2.1.4-12     TrueType font rendering library,
> (dummy)
> i   freetype2-dev    2.1.4-12     TrueType font rendering library,
> headers
>      freetype2-hi...  2.1.4-12     TrueType font rendering library,
> (dummy)
>      freetype2-hi...  2.1.4-12     TrueType font rendering library,
> headers
>      freetype2-hi...  2.1.4-12     TrueType font rendering library,
> shared libs
> i   freetype2-sh...  2.1.4-12     TrueType font rendering library,
> shared libs
> i   freetype219      2.1.9-2      TrueType font rendering library,
> headers
> i   freetype219-...  2.1.9-2      TrueType font rendering library,
> shared libs
>
> ...note that you always get shared libs, which means you would need
> to include it in the distribution, or explicitly specify linking to
> the static lib (which is usually also built)...I always do this in
> the ftgl archive, so that ftgl can be build statically, and
> therefore is portable (no probs so far)...
>
>> for better checking, i repeat my question: how do i check the
>> dynamic linkage dependencies of a binary on osx?
>
> otool -L name.dylib will show dependent libs, or "otool -L
> libftgl.a" will show object files included...

That's already handled by the Pd-extended build system.  Once the
build is done, it automatically finds all the needed dylibs and
includes them from Fink.

>> i still think that it will be easiest to provide the binaries for
>> freetype2 and ftgl in the GemLibs-OSX-10.4.tgz
>
> ...I agree:  we really just need a correctly built libftgl.a in
> GemLibs/libs...but I'm

Like I said before, checking in binaries is a really bad idea.  If
the code is "done", it should be simple to automate the building.
This will lead to less work in the long run.

> sick with some unknown (yet) swelling of the lymph nodes in my
> neck, and can't do much...

Get well soon!