[PD-dev] Re: [GEM-dev] pdextended autobuild august 10th 2006

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Aug 12 01:14:36 CEST 2006

 > On Aug 11, 2006, at 12:52 PM, B. Bogart wrote:
 >
 >> Hey Hans,
 >>
 >> I think Johannes's real argument is that FTGL is "done" and is  probably
 >> not going to change at all anymore. Due to this it takes less time to
 >> build the FTGL static libs on each platform than it is to make FTGL
  play
 >> nice in the autobuild system, when the sources will not change. Of
 >> course bugs *could* come up though...

thanks ben. that's what i tried to say

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I understand that.  But still, managing source builds is a lot of  work

i understand that too. i don't try to put work on you (but i also try to
not put work on me or any other Gem developer).

> when multiplied by 10+, even when the software is "done".  I  don't want
> to have to build it even once.  Right now, I can install  many, many

this is not what i suggested.
my suggestion was, that "someone" (the gem developers - me if i manage
it, somebody else if they are faster...) should create pre-compiled
binaries for each platform (win32, osx-10.4, osx-10.3 (if needed, i
dunno) which are available as GemLibs-<platform> package for download
from gem.iem.at;
you would need to download and install them once for 3 platforms.

> packages using Fink/apt-get/yum with basically one  command:  "fink
> install ..." or "apt-get install ..." or "yum  install ..."

i am not talking about platforms where there are prepackages binaries.

>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>>> We are talking about managing files on 10+ machines running Windows,
>>> Mac OS X 10.3 and 104, and Ubuntu, Fedora Core, and Debian, on   PowerPC

debian (and ubuntu) do come with ftgl.
fedora probably does not, please complain at fedora.
maybe it comes with gltt, which is a (not so good) substitute.

>>> and x86.  I have better things to do that track down all this   stuff

i understand this.
if somebody volunteers to build ftgl fink packages - fine. but what if
nobody wants to do it?

mfg.adra