[GEM-dev] motion blur

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 20:51:41 CEST 2006

On 8/18/06, Erich Berger <eb at randomseed.org> wrote:

> hi,
>
> the work around also does not work for me (even with nvidia). as soon as
> one starts to work with higher resolutions and non square gemwins it
> becomes slow and tricky.

pix_snap2tex should not impose much of a performance hit unless the window
resolution is really huge (2048x1536 or larger).  If it does then it has
probably fallen back to software to do a pixel format conversion or there is
some other hardware incompatibility.

> he implemented a clearmask message to gemwin but i have no idea
> how to use it:
> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/gem-dev/2003-09/000138.html

You need to get the GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT and related constants and make a
mask.  A better interface could be made for the message.

All it really does is enable or disable a buffer for clearing by glClear().
I recall that someone posted a patch not long ago that used the GEMgl calls
to disable clearing the depth buffer, which does the same thing.

cgc